Friday, January 13, 2006

Here it is - January!

Here is my January journal quilt. I finished it, and I just couldn't wait until the 20th to post it. You've seen the background I started with. I decided I wanted a seagull, so I went looking for pictures. These are the two I worked from:





Next, I sketched a picture. Fancy paper, huh? I realized the legs were too short, but I wasn’t about to draw the whole thing again!




I traced the sketch onto a fusible product, and ironed it to my fabric for the seagull and the piling he's sitting on. Then I cut them out and fused them to the background. I ended up doing this twice for the seagull, because you could see the sky through the white fabric. If I were to do it again, I wouldn’t have worried about adding a second layer, because I could have covered it with thread. Either way, it worked, but it ended up really stiff. Then I just used my handy-dandy "Big Foot" and free-motioned all the details with thread. I had some problems with the needle getting sticky from the fusible stuff, but managed to finish with lots of "Need-L-Lub." By the way, I did find teflon-coated needles on the internet - they are designed for industrial sewing where the needle goes so fast that it generates a lot of heat. They are sold in boxes of 100. I didn't bother ordering any, but if I decide to do a large project with lots of sewing through fusible stuff, I may get some.

When I had the picture done, I layered it with a lightweight cotton batting and muslin on the back. I free-motion quilted the waves and clouds.

Drum roll, please . . . .




My favorite part is the bird’s wing. There are lots of details that I am less than 100% satisfied with, but overall I like how it turned out.

I have named the piece “Day Dream,” after a poem by A.S.J. Tessimond. The poem is on the back, along with the info about the quilt. I used June Taylor computer printer fabric for the back.



In case you can’t read it, here is the poem:

Day Dream
A.S.J. Tessimond

One day people will touch and talk perhaps easily,
And loving be natural as breathing and warm as sunlight,
And people will untie themselves, as string is unknotted,
Unfold and yawn and stretch and spread their fingers,
Unfurl, uncurl like seaweed returned to the sea,
And work will be simple and swift as a seagull flying,
And play will be casual and quiet as a seagull settling,
And the clocks will stop, and no one will wonder or care or notice,
And people will smile without reason,
Even in winter, even in the rain.

20 comments:

jenclair said...

Wonderful! Love it all: the photograph, the process, the serene threaded seagull, and the poem on the back. And thanks for posting the poem; so much easier to read. Good Job!

Jules said...

Becky, I love you rseagull. He looks so real. So does the post. You did a wonderful job. And a week early, too!

Kim said...

Just lovely. Was your inspiration the poem? and play will be casual may soon be hanging on the bulletin board near my sewing machine.

Becky said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Kim, the poem was not my inspiration. I had the background fabric sitting in my room for a while, and I looked at it every day, imagining something on it. After I was done, and I had decided to put something on the back, I did a Google search for "seagull poem." When I found this one, I knew it was perfect. So, I guess the picture inspired the poem, except the poem already existed!

Marianne said...

I can understand you couldn't wait to share, you did a great job! Love the bird and the rope detail. Did you cut the background and re-sew it?

Granny Fran said...

I love your stitching and free motion quilting. And glad you found that poem, it is perfect for the journal page and one I am going to copy and keep.

DebbyMc said...

I love your little quilt! The quilting on the sea and sky just sets the whole picture in motion...and what a find the poem was...perfect...Great job!
Debby

Deb Geyer said...

Very nice, Becky. I like how the sky and water are broken up by the piecing and then the quilting pulls it together again.

Micki said...

This is just lovely and I really like the poem. You have gotten off to a very nice start.

Pat/SWquilter said...

Great job, Becky! Your gull is the perfect addition to that wonderful background!

Sandra said...

Becky, Your finished product is really nice. You didn't comment on it but I like the way you finished the whole thing by making a quilted border and picture frame around it. The design in the dark area is interesting. I'm also going to hold onto the idea of putting something on the back. I like that.

Pam said...

Becky - saw this last night but did not get to comment - it's wonderful...congrats on a great journal quilt for Jan...

Jen said...

This is beautiful, and I love the poem! The sky is my favorite part, and it was fun to see your process too. Jen

Anonymous said...

It is really an incredible piece. Not ~just~ a mere journal page, as in experimentation, but a real work of art.

Karoda said...

how neat and if this was your first attempt at this technique, it really is impressive.

Debra Dixon said...

Great Poem-great Page-Great Seagull

(gosh, what are you going to do for Feb to match this??!)

Barbara C said...

Really nice pieced background and thread painting. Thanks for the tip on the teflon-coated needles.

PaigeTurner said...

Cool!

Suze said...

Really nice journal page...I can almost feel the salt air and hear the cry of the seagulls...

If you are going to do a lot of thread painting you might try just using gluestick or Glue-Baste-It under the pieces...lots less sticky stuff to gum up the needle. Or it might be the kind of fusible - you didn't happen to use HeatNBond? That stuff is miserable to sew over...

Gi said...

such a wonderful job! congratulations! i love it!