Saturday, December 31, 2005

Beginnings of First Journal Quilt


I have the beginnings of my January quilt. This sea/sky background was something I pieced together when I first started quilting. I was interested in doing landscape quilts, and found a piece of sea/sky looking fabric, but I wanted to do something different with it, so I cut it into squares and sewed it back together. It was bigger, but I cut it down to the size for the journal quilts. I have been mulling over ideas of what to do with it. Birds...boats...hot air balloons...airplanes...alien spaceships? Something "normal" or something weird? I keep looking at it, but haven't had a big AHA yet. I'm leaning towards seagulls or pelicans. Not sure how I want to make them. Something I haven't done before...

8 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I love this fabric! Are you going to use it throughout? How big are the squares?

Pat/SWquilter said...

Great start! I love the background already and can't wait to see what you decide to add.

Becky said...

Thanks Debra and Pat! The squares are 2 1/2". I just had a small piece of fabric, so this will be the only time I use it for a background. I have some scraps left, so it might show up again, you never know.

DebbyMc said...

Beautiful! Such a peaceful feeling...makes me want to go play in my sky and water bins...
Debby

Debra Dixon said...

I agree with Debby--I would have trouble cutting this fabric!

sophie said...

It's a great background with lots of possibilties. Can't wait to see which direction you go ...

Micki said...

I have a piece of this fabric in my stash. can't wait to see what you do.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!