Saturday, October 28, 2006

My favorite season!

I finally got around to making another journal quilt! My life has been pretty much in constant upheaval since June. I probably could have finished this in September, but it seemed to fit October better anyway, so I took my time.

The title is "Delicious Autumn", which is the title of the poem by George Eliot that I printed on the back. I used a technique I found in a recent quilting magazine. I can't put my hands on the magazine at the moment, but the technique is cut-out applique. Then I saw an episode of Simply Quilts where they were doing free-motion zig-zag, so I used that to satin stitch around the leaves. I found that free-motion satin stitching takes a steady hand and a steady eye, but it does make it easier to go around curves. I free-motion quilted the background with metallic gold trhead, but it doesn't show up in the picture. The veins in the leaves are also metallic gold.

Here are the pictures!

11 comments:

Suze said...

I like it...I am partial to fall and autumn leaves too..they turned out quite well.
I am 4 months behind on my Journal's...Last one I finished was June...Got hooked on the Crazy Quilting and then the wedding happened and I just haven't gotten back to the Journals! (I do HAVE designs for all those months... maybe one of these days I will get a roundtuit!)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becky! I'm sort of near you in upstate South Carolina. I went to college at Winthrop! I love your work and your blog. It's fun to read everyone's thoughts and happenings and see their work. So many talented people.

Anonymous said...

Hi! welcome back to the quilt world!

Granny Fran said...

So glad to have you back, Becky. Are you settled for a while or will you be moving again soon?

I really like your reverse applique leaves, they have a look of Jacobean crewel embroidery. I didn't know you could do free motion zigzag, great job.

Granny Fran said...

Forgot to tell you, because of you I got involved with the WOTB4 group and love the study and making the blocks.

Kim said...

Welcome back.

Deb Geyer said...

Very nice, Becky! Looks like you had fun with this one.

laura west kong said...

I like all the interesting shapes of leaves you chose. It's fun to look at.

Sandra said...

Hi Becky...nice to hear from you again! Your quilt is lovely. The free motion satin stitching sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

becky - your fall journal quilt is wonderful - nice job

Pat/SWquilter said...

Love your autumn leaves Becky - as well as the poem that inspired it. Autumn is my favorite season of the year too.

Pat H./SWquilter