Sunday, April 23, 2006

Who Am I?

Who am I? This month’s journal quilt is a self-portrait. I started by combing through my fabric stash and scraps to find fabrics that expressed something about me. Then I took a photo of my face into Photoshop and played with effects until I found something I thought I could reproduce in fabric. I crazy-quilted the different fabrics onto a piece of muslin. Then I added the face and few other appliqués. Each of the appliqués is machine outlined with a different stitch, but you can’t see them all in the picture. My machine doesn’t have any decorative stitches, or I would have gone crazy on this one. I may still do some hand embroidery on it to dress it up a bit.

There is one thing about me represented in this piece that I forgot to include in the description on the back. I have one piece of dark brown fabric (behind the cross) that represents chocolate. I didn’t have any fabric with chocolate on it, so I just had to go with the color!

10 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Definitely a great page for your journal! I think a person could look at it and see what is important to you. Nice job!

sophie said...

Oh Becky, I LOVE IT. You've included so much information about you in such a small space. It's wonderful.

Sandra said...

What a wonderful journal page. It's nicely designed and very interesting. I also likes your writeup on the back very much. Next I'm going to read about your jungle trip, with photos!

Barbara C said...

Great job Becky! Your face superimposed on the background has a wonderful pop art feel, and yet it's very personal. Nice job!

Granny Fran said...

Fantastic self portrait. Love what you did with your photo and the fabrics tell a great story. One of my favorite self portrait quilts.

jenclair said...

Well, pretty much what everyone else has said! I love the almost symbolic revelation of self and the "pop art" face!

Deb Hardman said...

Becky, It really is a wonderful piece. The only thing missing is a spider! I was browsing through your jungle blog. Yikes, I am so arachniphobic! I love living in Alaska, spiders are very small here. I'd never go to the bathroom again if I found a tarantula in there!

Micki said...

This is a very wonderful journal page. It tells us so much about you.

Deb Geyer said...

This is great! I think you did a great job with the photo. and it is so interesting seeing all the fabrics that speak of you.

Miriam said...

very creative!